Comments can be sent to savethewesleypool@hotmail.com

Monday, April 9, 2007

Hospitals not just about beds

The Wesley Hospital is closing their hydrotherapy pool (declaring it not to be part of their core business) at a time when other well known hospitals have built, are building or continue to support their hydrotherapy units. A quick look on the internet, a few phone calls and yellow pages produced the following list of hospitals with pools. Some of these are public hospitals, some of these are private and some are rehabilitation hospitals. Some are church hospitals and some are not. I am wondering what criteria was used to assess the value of hydrotherapy and the hydro pool at Wesley. Obviously these hospitals have a different yard stick to the one wielded by Gerry Wyvill. Mr Wyvill basically stood up at last week’s public meeting and said that Hydro was not an asset. Is this hospital only interested in dollars? Health Care and hospitals should not just be about beds.

Hospitals with pools include:

Brisbane/Qld: The Royal Brisbane Hospital, The Royal Childrens Hospital, Princess Alexander Hospital, Noosa Hospital, Gold Coasts’ Allamanda Private Hospital, Maryborough Hospital.

Adelaide/SA: Flinders Medical Centre, Daw Park Repatriation Hospital, Griffith private Hospital, College Grove Private Hospital, The Womens and Children Hospital.

Sydney/ NSW: Westmead Hospital, Prince of Wales Hospital, Royal North Shore Hospital, Mt Wilga Hospital, Metropolitan Rehab Hospital, Royal Rehab, Royal Newcastle Hospital, Sydney Adventist Hospital, Blue Mountains District Anzac memorial Hospital, Albury Base Hospital, The Sydney Private Hospital, War memorial Hospital, Dalcross Private Hospital, Lady Davisdson Private Hospital, Mt Wilga Hospital, Bathurst Hospital, St Georges Hospital, Mona Vale Hospital, Tamworth Hospital, Hunters Hill Private Hospital, Wolper Jewish Hospital, Coffs Harbour Hospital, Ramsay Health/Baringa (Coff’s Harbour) Southern Highlands Private Hospital Bowral, Hornsby Hospital, Presidents Private Hospital, Nowra Hospital, Lismore Private Hospital, Woy Woy Hospital, Gosford Private Hospital, Hirondelle Private Hospital, Bowral Hospital, Lourdes Hospital (Under repair).

Melbourne/Vic: Sunshine Hospital, Bethesda Hospital, Donvale Hospital, St John of God Hospital Bendigo, Mildura Base Hospital, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Heidelberg Repatriation Hospital, Nepean Hospital, St Vincents Hospital, Katoomba Hospital, Latrobe Regional Hospital, Hopetoun Hospital, Cooma Hospital.

Perth: Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital, The Princess Margaret Children’s Hospital, St John of God Hospital Bunbury, The St John of God Hospital Murdoch, Osborne Park Hospital Stirling, Kaleeya Hospital East Fremantle.

3 comments:

Save the Wesley Pool! said...

I have been attending Wesley Hydro for years. I have a progressive neuromuscular disease. I can still drive, but I spend my days in a wheelchair. It has been suggested that I can attend Royal Brisbane Hospital Hydrotherapy or Sinnamon Village pool. Neither of these pools offer the service I have been receiving at Wesley. Staff come out to the car and help me into a water wheelchair and take me into the pool. After my session they help me dry and wheel me back to the car and assist with my transfer. I pay for treatment and get great value. Where else would I get this service??

B.E. Indooroopilly.

Save the Wesley Pool! said...

Re The closure of the Wesley Pool



Apparently consultation regarding the closure included clinical staff and stakeholders, but I can tell you that my GP and also my orthopedic surgeon, my nurse and my physiotherapists who work at the Hospital had not been consulted when I had my surgery at Wesley earlier in 2007. What form of consultation occurred? Was it transparent? Or was it a process set in motion to achieve the outcome of pool closure?

S. Summers. Toowong

Save the Wesley Pool! said...

I was told last week of the planned closure of the Wesley Hospital. Fate accompli!!! Then I was “interviewed” by a hospital staff member who thought that organizing transport to another pool would solve my problems.



It is more than water that makes a pool. The Wesley has the best and they don’t appreciate it. They want me to accept less than the best and in helping to arrange that are ensuring that they appear to care.

Anon.