Comments can be sent to savethewesleypool@hotmail.com

Monday, April 9, 2007

The Patients Talk

These are some comments received from patients and hydrotherapy supporters regarding the closure of the Wesley Pool:

Re The closure of the Wesley Pool

Apparently consultation regarding the closure included clinical staff and stakeholders, but I can tell you that my GP and also my orthopedic surgeon, my nurse and my physiotherapists who work at the Hospital had not been consulted when I had my surgery at Wesley earlier in 2007. What form of consultation occurred? Was it transparent? Or was it a process set in motion to achieve the outcome of pool closure?

(S. Summers, Toowong)

I have been attending Wesley Hydro for years. I have a progressive neuromuscular disease. I can still drive, but I spend my days in a wheelchair. It has been suggested that I can attend Royal Brisbane Hospital Hydrotherapy or Sinnamon Village pool. Neither of these pools offer the service I have been receiving at Wesley. Staff come out to the car and help me into a water wheelchair and take me into the pool. After my session they help me dry and wheel me back to the car and assist with my transfer. I pay for treatment and get great value. Where else would I get this service??

(B.E., Indooroopilly)

I was told last week of the planned closure of the Wesley Hospital. Fate accompli!!! Then I was “interviewed” by a hospital staff member who thought that organizing transport to another pool would solve my problems.

It is more than water that makes a pool. The Wesley has the best and they don’t appreciate it. They want me to accept less than the best and in helping to arrange that are ensuring that they appear to care.

(Anon.)


If you wish to comment, please send your thoughts to savethewesleypool@hotmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LETS HEAR YOUR STORY

Almost all the users of the Wesley Hydrotherapy centre have a story to tell about how hydrotherapy has helped them. Strange as it may seem your humble story is actually interesting and can give inspiration to others that have similar problems. Over the last couple of years I have seen a number of "miracles" in the Wesley pool. Please take your opportunity to put your story in this blog. Who knows, we may be able to put the stories together in to a book and raise money for our own facility.

My personal story is fairly simple. I have a bad back (probably caused by years of poor posture). Every year or too my bach "Went Out", usually while picking up a piece of paper or something equally ridiculous. The result would be something like an electric shock up my spine and my legs collapsing under me, not from paralysis, but from an intense desire to get to a horizontal position as quickly as possible. then a few days to a couple of weeks of almost invalidity while is all settled down again.

You never really appreciate how important your back is until you find that you cannot bend it. Over the years my back was getting slowly worse until the last attack put me in hospital for a few days.
My wife was attending the Wesley pool as part of an obesity program and she suggested I see her hydrotherapist and do some exercises in the pool. I took her advice and havent had a bad attack since (about three years). I maintain my exercise program and rarely need to see the Hydrotherapist now.

It would be a crying shame if this wonderful facility was closed.